Saturday, March 19, 2011

Enchilada Sauce

I messed around with different enchilada sauce recipes. Everything from soaking the dried chiles and straining, etc., to easy ones with chili powder.  This is my favorite recipe that I finally created after a lot of trial and error and adjusting to my family's taste.  My grandmother who is a self proclaimed "wet-burrito expert" loved it.  That's saying something.  By the way, this makes a LOT. I have a large family and still have leftovers. My husband loves to just dip chips in it, and he thinks it would be great as a basis for chili dog sauce with ground beef added.  Whatever you decide, the leftovers refrigerate and reheat beautifully.


Enchilada Sauce

1/4 cup vegetable oil
4 Tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chili powder
1 (15 ounce) can Mexican style stewed tomatoes, blended in a blender until smooth
1 can beef (or chicken) broth
1 cup water
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons minced garlic

Heat oil in saucepan. Add flour and cook flour for a couple minutes stirring often. Add chili powder. Slowly add blended tomatoes, broth, and water. Add cumin and garlic and simmer until thickened.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to trying this recipe tomorrow. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete