Saturday, February 5, 2011

Ice Cream Cones

I know ice cream cones are a strange way to kick off my food blog, but the fact is, I've been wanting to start blogging about food, and just haven't done it, and it just so happens that this is what I made today that I'm excited about.  So here it is...
I've been wanting to buy a waffle cone iron for a long time, but even when I find them on sale they've been about $25 and though that's not a huge expense, I couldn't rationalize spending the money on an item I might use a couple times a year at best. But, when I ran across one at "Tuesday Morning" for a mere $11.99 I didn't even hesitate. In fact, I was headed for the store exit to leave to pick up my hubby from his vanpool and go on our date, when I saw this find and decided it was worth it to be late to pick him up! Don't tell him that though.
So, as we got home late from our date night, and the kids had already had chocolate shakes courtesy of my mother, I didn't get to try the iron out immediately. When morning came I could wait no longer, and I must admit... I made waffle bowls and ice cream sundaes for the kids for breakfast. Don't call children's services, it's honestly never happened before, and won't again... probably. I was bummed when the recipe that came with the iron failed miserably. It produced bubbles that created holes all over the cone. That wouldn't be an effective ice cream holder. I immediately suspected it was caused by the baking powder in the recipe. I searched online for other recipes, and NONE of them called for a leavener other than egg. I tried another recipe and... success!!! The only thing I'd change in the future is adding vanilla extract, so I'll go ahead and include that in the recipe. The recipe I used came from www.chocolategourmand.com.

Classic Waffle Cones

1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons melted butter

Heat waffle iron, beat the eggs, salt, sugar, and vanilla together with whisk until well blended and fluffy. Add melted butter and whisk until blended.
Add flour to the batter mixture and gently fold until just blended.
Cook according to your waffle iron directions.

I made some into cones, which are pictured above, using the cone roller that came with my iron. I also made some into bowls (which my kids ate too quickly to photograph) by laying the hot waffle over the top of an inverted bowl. Perfect waffle cones and bowls!

5 comments:

  1. I so want to get one of those! They look so yummy! Maybe one day I will get one! Woo Hoo #3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I am so proud! I love your food fetish! Woo Hoo #4 ( :

    ReplyDelete